One of my favorite ways to scrounge up a meal on a busy night is to prepare a skillet dinner. It’s easy prep, easy cooking, and with one pan, it’s easy cleaning. If you’re looking at a delicious skillet dinner, here’s a great one that I found online.
Skillet Supper Ingredients
Even though this recipe calls for kielbasa, it can easily become a vegetarian meal. Simply remove the meat from the ingredient list. Personally I’d swap out zucchini for carrots. As for the hot sauce, we like to use Raw Heat. It has a lot of heat and flavor and you don’t need much.
- 8 oz low‐fat kielbasa, cut into ½ inch thick slices
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into ½ inch dice
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. salt, or to taste
- 2 c. cooked brown rice
- ½ cup water
- hot sauce, to taste
What makes this an easy meal is that how you only need one pan to get dinner ready.
- Cook kielbasa in a large nonstick skillet over high heat, turning from time to time, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Add oil to the pan.
- Add onions, zucchini, bell pepper, jalapenos, garlic, cumin, oregano and salt; cook, stirring, until the onions are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice, beans and water; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 4 minutes.
- Add the reserved kielbasa and season with hot sauce.
- Serve hot.
Thoughts on Skillet Dinners
I’d love to hear from you about your meal ideas. What are some of your favorite meals to make when you’re pressed for time?
Photo Credit: HatM