This week I wanted to go with a brown bag theme. With many families going on vacations before school starts up again, eating healthy on the go can seem difficult.
However it can be done if you take a few minutes to prepare something the day before. I found that preparing a meal the same morning I’ll eat it usually means I have a hectic morning and a so-so lunch.
Preparing ahead for an office lunch or for a trip means I’m less stressed and I have an opportunity to choose a healthy dish.
Salad on the Go
Being a fan of Rachel Ray’s style of quick meals, I found a wonderful tomato based salad that is filling and delicious. I think it’ll help those who want a salad with a bit of substance.
- 5 medium plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 red onion, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- 1 Kirby cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- A generous drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, about 2 tablespoons
- 2 splashes red wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and black pepper
Mix the tomatoes, onions, and cucumber with olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. let it stand for about 20 minutes. When you eat your salad, re-toss the salad ingredients. If you want, you can enjoy your salad with a slice of crusty bread and add a bit of feta cheese.
Thoughts on Food on the Go
How many of you eat on the go during the week? What brown bag meals do you like to prepare? What salads do you like to prepare? What salads do you enjoy?