Yep, it’s Saturday and sunny, so it’s time for another recipe for the grill 🙂 Usually I’m talking about beef with the grill, but today I wanted to highlight a recipe using chicken as the main meat. It’s cheap and when done right it can be juicy and flavorful.
Grilled Chicken and Green Tomatoes
What’s great about this recipe how much flavor you can get with just a few ingredients around the house. While this recipes calls for chicken breasts I prefer using leg quarters for grilling.
- 16 oz fresh homemade salsa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 green tomatoes, each cut into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup (2 ounces) crumbled queso fresco
- Combine reserved liquid, oil, salt, and pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag.
- Add chicken and tomato to bag; seal and shake gently to coat.
- Chill 30 minutes.
- Prepare grill.
- Remove chicken and tomato from bag, reserving marinade.
- Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray; pour reserved marinade over chicken.
- Place tomato slices on grill rack.
- Grill chicken 6 minutes on each side or until done.
- Grill tomatoes 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Serve chicken with tomatoes; top with reserved salsa and queso fresco.
Thoughts on Grilled Chicken
I personally love using homemade salsa with recipes – you get to highlight what flavors you want. I love cilantro and garlic in mine. How about you? How many of you have enjoyed grilled chicken this summer? Do you prefer making your own salsa or do you grab some from the store?