I never had pretzel salad until I met my husband. I hadn’t even heard of it. I’m not a pretzel or jello fan, so my first instinct was to pass on it. However after trying it, I discovered it’s a pretty good dessert.
Like many things, he kept forgetting to ask for the recipe and we moved away. Since it was awhile since he last had it, he made a special request while we had help around the house during the first few week of our daughter’s birth (perk of being a new parent). It was quite good – plenty of flavor and textures to it.
This time he now has the recipe for this sweet and salty treat so he can enjoy anytime he wants.
- 2 cups crushed pretzels
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 (8 ounce) package whipped cream cheese
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping
- 2 (3 ounce) packages lemon flavored gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 can of crushed pineapple
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Stir together crushed pretzels, melted butter and 3 tablespoons sugar; mix well and press mixture into the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes, until set. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together cream cheese and 1 cup sugar. Fold in whipped topping. Spread mixture onto cooled crust.
- Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in still frozen strawberries and allow to set briefly.
- When mixture is about the consistency of egg whites, pour and spread over cream cheese layer.
- Refrigerate until set.