A few weeks ago, I wrote about the newest Trader Joe’s opening near our house, and some of my favorite items to date. With the help of my northern relatives, I recently dove even deeper into the offers at Joe’s and found some pleasant surprises in the mix.
You might recall some of my favorites from the last post, including the famous “Two Buck Chuck” on which the Trader Joe’s brand is building its name. But even in locations like New York, where the sale of alcohol isn’t permitted in grocery stores, Trader Joe’s is thriving. Maybe it’s some of these other delicious treats:
- Organic 73% Dark Chocolate (with nuts): One of the best chocolate bars I had the pleasure of eating in under one day, but hey–it’s all dark chocolate, so hopefully it was somewhat good for me.
- Applewood Unsulfured Smoked Bacon: Preservative-free meats are all the rage these days, while the debate on whether this actually improves or worsens our health continues. I gave this bacon a try and was very pleased with the overall taste.
- Organic Mayo: Yes, even your mayo can come organic these days. And it’s a Trader Joe’s label, so you can be sure that it won’t break the bank too badly.
- Whole Grain Dijon Mustard: Whole grain mustards preserve the entire mustard seed as opposed to grinding it up during processing. I don’t know of any particular health benefits to using the entire grain, but the mustard has a distinct flavor, and it also looks fairly “cool” which counts for presentation.
- Brown Basmati Rice: My recent obsession with Basmati was taken to new heights when I discovered that Trader Joe’s sells the brown-rice version of this sweet and aromatic rice.
- Chapagne Pear Vinegarette: Found in the refrigerator section of the store, this tasty dressing works equally well on salads as it does in marinating meats before cooking.
- Organic Blue Agave: This is the specific agave type that is used in the production of tequila and originates in Mexico. The evidence that agave is any better for you than sugar is still inconclusive though, so use this one with caution.
- Olive Tapenade Spread: This is a delicious chunky spread that goes great over crackers or a piece of toast.
One of the cool things about Trader Joe’s is their constant rotation of product, based on the demand and the seasonality of particular items. I’m very curious to see what kinds of treats they can get me hooked on next!