One of favorite ways to prepare a meal is with our slow cooker. We can put in all of the items in the morning and when it’s time for dinner we have the one pot meal all ready to go. It’s a simple way to prepare something tasty without doing a ton of work.
A healthy option with the slow cooker is making a Mediterranean Stew. With this recipe you don’t need meat, though some variations include adding some lamb. I’d also recommend making a side of rice to go with the stew.
- 3/4 butternut squash – peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1-1/2 cups and 2 tablespoonscubed eggplant, with peel
- 1-1/2 cups and 2 tablespoonscubed zucchini
- 3/4 (10 ounce) packagefrozen okra, thawed
- 3/4 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup and 2 teaspoons chopped onion
- 3/4 ripe tomato, chopped
- 3/4 carrot, sliced thin
- 1/3 cup and 1 tablespoon vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon raisins
- 3/4 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
The great thing with this stew is all you have to do to prepare it is throw in the butternut squash, eggplant, zucchini, okra, tomato sauce, onion, tomato, carrot, broth, raisins, and garlic into the crockpot. Season with cumin, turmeric, red pepper, cinnamon, and paprika.
Cover, and cook on low for 8 or so.
Thoughts on Slow Cooker Meals
What are some of your favorite meals to make in the crockpot?
Photo Credit: Girl Interrupted Eating