With this recipe you can add fresh produce as a substitute for some of the can goods, which makes this meal flexible for budgets and schedules. We use the slow cooker and it’s a wonderful meal to have when we’re having a busy evening. You can also skip the meat and it’s still delicious as a vegetarian meal.
To make sure I have the recipe right, I’ve copied the email sent to us. I hope you enjoy it!
Time: 45 Minutes
- 1 teaspoon (tsp) of red pepper (I use cayenne)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp cumin
- 3 diced garlic cloves
- 3 tsp cocoa powder or one ounce of Hersey’s Dark Chocolate (melted in microwave)
- 2 medium white onions
- 2 bell peppers (one green, one red)
- 2 pounds flank steak, cubed ( you can use any tough, marbled cut of beef you want, but I used this)
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms or three 4oz cans of sliced mushrooms
- one 14.5 oz can of Hunts Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes (with garlic)
- 2 cups Prego tomato sauce
- one 15.5 oz can of Goya Small White Beans
- one 15.5 oz can of Goya Black Beans
- one 15.25oz can of Del Monte Gold and White Corn
- Slice all veggies and saute on Medium , EXCEPT MUSHROOMS, in olive oil until onions start to turn translucent.
- Add all the spices and garlic ( if using melted chocolate, hold till you add the tomato products).
- Saute 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly to mix flavors.
- Add beef. saute 5 minutes or until beef begins to brown.
- If using a stew pot, transfer all ingredients there now.
- Add tomato products, salsa and mushrooms. Cook (STILL ON MEDIUM) for 10 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Drain the beans and corn, add and stir in. Cover with lid.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir a couple times every 2 or 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir to even out sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings (you might want more salt, more cinnamon or more chocolate)
This is the really easy part …
On top of plain white rice. If you want to get fancy, make some guacamole and put a dollop on top. This goes really good with a salad of mixed greens with a lime vinagrette to help cut the density of the dish.
Or just a couple shots of tequila. 😛