One of the goals of Married Food is to increase awareness about sustainable food. So for 2012, Married Food will be highlighting projects that can make a dramatic difference in people’s lives.
Feed a Family
I’m thrilled that the first program I share on the Giving More series is Feeding America. In case you’re not familiar with them, they’re on of the biggest hunger-relief charities in the country. They have a network of over 200 food banks. With help from people like you and I, this organization can do much good.
With as many as 14 million children and 3 million seniors not knowing where their next meal will come from, Feeding America is a blessing. Some programs that Feeding America runs to address these dire needs include:
- Kids Cafe: The program provide free meals and snacks to low-income children through a variety of community locations where children already congregate. The children also receive nutritional education.
- CSFP: The Commodity Supplemental Food Program provides commodity food packages for low-income pregnant and breastfeeding women, other new mothers up to one year postpartum, infants, children up to their sixth birthday, and elderly persons at least 60 years of age who meet income eligibility requirements.
- Disaster Relief: Feeding America utilizes their national network to provide relief and recovery for areas hit by disasters.
Your Dollars Go Further
Every dollar you give to Feeding America can give 8 meals. I’d consider us a frugal family, but that amount of value is still astounding to me. That means that you can help a family in need for much less than you expect.
- $21 can feed a family for 2 weeks
- $45 can feed a family for a month
- $135 can feed a family for 3 months