We finally did it. After a few attempts based on recipes we found on the internet, my husband and I have a coquito recipe that we can make in 20 minutes and just refrigerate for parties later. I had some taste testers this week and it looks like it’s a winner.
While it’s a drink associated with some Christmas celebrations (didn’t know until I was hunting for recipes!), I’ve had through out the year. It’s a wonderful creamy drink that can be refreshing served chill at a summer barbecue.
Quick and Easy Recipe
The traditional recipe is a bit like egg nog with coconut cream, egg yolks, coconut milk, and more. You can also spice it up various ways for those with a flair for drinks. However, if you’re pressed for time and/or just want to keep it simple, here’s a quick and dirty recipe for coquito.
- 30 oz coconut milk (approximately 2 1/4 cans)
- 14 oz condensed milk
- 1 -2 cups rum (you can add more rum to fit your tastes)
- ½ cup water
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- Mix all ingredients in the blender.
- Taste and more rum if you like it stronger.
- You need to add the water (it will get thicker in the fridge).
- Refrigerate well; make ahead of time for a wonderfully chilled drink.
Favorite Summer Drinks
I’d like to know what you think. What’s your favorite summer drink? If you ‘ve made coquito, what’s your personal recipe?
Photo Credit: Eve Mar