We got a bit of cucumbers and tomatoes in the house from our Producce Box deliveries, so I decided to whip a salad for us to have this evening with dinner.
Time: 10-15 minutes
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced and quartered
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber and onions.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, salt and pepper.
- Whisk in the vinegar and water.
- Pour over vegetables and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve with a slotted spoon.
Photo Credit: culinarymusings
One of my favorite treats when I visit family is plantain chips to munch on while I catch up with everyone. According to LiveStrong, plantain chips offers essential vitamins such as vitamin B6, beta carotene, folate, and riboflavin.
Fried Plantain Chips
Time: 15 minutes
- Vegetable Oil for deep-frying
- 2 medium-rip plantains
- Garlic Salt
- Put oil in your skillet until it’s at least an inch deep
- Put the heat to medium-high
- Cut your plantain thinly for your chips
- Fry the chips for about 2 minutes or so
- Remove chips with tongs and drain with paper towels
- Sprinkle garlic salt on top of chips to taste
Makes about 4 servings
Photo Credit: Rennett Stowe
My husband was chatting with his grandmother reminiscing about some family gatherings they’ve had. During the conversation she went ahead and shared a few of her recipes with him.
Nana’s Crab Dip
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup red and green peppers, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup cracker crumbs
- 1 lb crab meat
- Melt butter in pan.
- Add cream, salt, Tabasco, mustard, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir over low heat until blended.
- Add peppers, celery, 2/3 cup cracker crumbs and blend together.
- Remove from heat. Add crab meat, mix.
- Put in baking dish, sprinkle remaining 1/3 cup cracker crumbs and dab butter on top.
- Put in oven at 400ºF for 20 minutes.