One of our favorite things to do with our toddler is introduce new foods and flavors. Sometimes, though, little ones can be hesitant to try something different. However now can be the best time for toddlers to expand their palettes.
The bright colors of vegetables and fruits can entice some of the pickiest eaters to at least have a bite or two. If your toddler loves to dip his foods, preparing some hummus, avocado, or even eggplant dip can be the way to get them to enjoy eating well.
You can use this hummus recipe with vegetables, tortilla chips, or pita wedges. You can also adjust and add the recipes to introduce more flavors.
- 2 cups canned chickepeas
- 1/3 cup tahini sauce
- 1/2 clove of minced garlic (you can add more if your toddler really enjoys garlic)
- lemon juice
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- Rinse and drain chickpeas thoroughly
- Put the chickpeas, tahini, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and cumin in a food professor
- Process it until it’s smooth (you can add more lemon juice and olive oil to you preference)
You can store the hummus for about a week in an airtight container.
Easy Eggplant Dip
- 1 eggplant
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prick the eggplant several times with a fork. Bake until soft, about 45 minutes.
- Allow the eggplant to cool, and scoop out the flesh, discarding the skin.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the eggplant and the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
Thoughts on Feeding Picky Eaters
What dips have you made that have been a hit with your picky eater?
Photo Credit: yummyporky