This weather has been great here in Raleigh. While we had some rain yesterday it was needed. It’s also encouraging me to drink more water, which is very good thing for my skin.
The weather also meant the vegetable harvest is going well. We’ve been tearing up the cabbage and spinach and pretty much have found that the garden boxes this year are the perfect size for us. We always have something for our meals’ side dishes plus we haven’t had to waste anything. All in all, it looks to be a good fit for our family.
If you’re looking for a different kind of salad, here’s one that will definitely fit in with the warmer weather. We’ve been getting sweet potatoes in our boxes and I’ve been looking for different ways to prepare them. Don’t get me wrong – I love a nice baked sweet potato with cinnamon and some brown sugar. I just want to mix it up a bit.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 cup corn
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 TBSP fresh lime juice
- 3 TBSP cilantro, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 TBSP canola oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthwise and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped peanuts
- Place sweet potato in a large saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, turn the heat down, and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are tender, add the corn kernels.
- Cook another 30 seconds.
- Drain in a colander and halt the cooking with cool water.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mustard, lime juice, cilantro, and garlic.
- Slowly whisk in oil.
- Mix in salt and black pepper.
- Add the dressing, cucumber, and onion to the sweet potato mixture.
- Toss well.
- Serve at room temperature or cooled.
- Toss the peanuts in just before serving.
From: Amy Landis