Cabbage Salad with Lime and Cumin
We just got some cabbage with our last produce delivery, so I think I’ll try this recipe this week. It’s simple and you can mix up to fit your preference.
- 1 head cabbage, cored juice from 3 limes
- 1/4 t ground cumin (or to taste)
- Dash of cayenne (optional)
- Slice cabbage into 1/4 to 1/2-inch strips.
- Add rest of ingredients.
- Marinate 2 hours in refrigerator.
- Add cilantro and/or tomato wedges if desired.
Red Cabbage and Apple Salad
Looking for something a bit more complex? Here’s another cabbage salad you can try out.
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon spicy or Creole mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium unpeeled Gala, Red Delicious, or Fuji apples, cored, quartered, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups coarsely shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups coarsely shredded green cabbage
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup pecan halves, toasted, optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
Whisk both vinegars and mustard in small bowl. Gradually whisk in the honey and olive oil.Toss apples with lemon juice, shredded cabbage, and dried cranberries. Add dressing and toss. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in pecans, if using. Refrigerate the salad and toss again before serving.
Photo Credit: whitneyinchicago