Mom’s Cooking While on Maternity Leave
While my mom was here to help out with the baby, she went ahead and prepared some of my favorite dishes. Since we were going to be by ourselves for a couple of days before my mother in law came to assist, she decided to make a bigger meal to tide us over.
She made pernil (roast pork shoulder) along with arroz con gandules. Besides being one of my favorite comfort meals, the dish can last for awhile. With the meat you can have as served or you can sliced some for sandwiches. With a little bit of water and olive oil, the rice and beans reheated quite nicely. We managed to get 4-5 meals out of it including a meal when friends came over to share.
- 2 cups grain rice (rinsed)
- 4 to 5 cups of hot water, or beef broth- appx.
- ½ cup sofrito
- 16 ounce can of gandules
- 2 tablespoons of alcaparrado (cappers and olives mixed together)
- 1 packet of Sazon with achiote
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a medium size caldero add the oil, tomato sauce, alcaparrado, sofrito and sazon.
- Cook over medium heat for 4 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients, and enough water to cover the rice 1″ above the rice line.
- Start with 1 teaspoon of salt stir and keep adding and mixing well until you are satisfied with the taste.
- Bring to a boil and cook over high heat until most of the water is absorbed.
- Once the water has been absorbed, stir gently from bottom to top – once or twice only, cover and turn the heat down to low.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Thanks to El Boricua for the basic recipe.
Photo Credit: TheLunchBelle